- Ancient meditative mantra
General[edit | edit source]
Meditation allows a character to increase the rate at which they regenerate mana. Mana is a powerful substance that is used while casting spells, and also during inscription. Without mana, a mage or a scribe is useless.
Although simply having some skill in meditation is enough to improve mana regeneration, it is also possible to use the skill directly. If successful, overall regeneration rate will double until the meditative trance is broken.
A meditative trance is broken if the individual moves, is attacked, or performs other actions.
Formula[edit | edit source]
The following formula outlines mana regeneration rate:
Mana Regeneration Ratio = 7 - ( 239 x [Intelligence + Meditation] / 4800 ) + ( 19 x [( [Intelligence + Meditation] / 2 ) ^ 2] / 48000 ) + ( AR Weight / 5 ) If Mana Regeneration Ratio > 7 then Mana Regeneration Ratio = 7 Mana regenerated per second = 1 / Mana Regeneration Ratio
This formula is from UO 98 server code decompilation done by Derrik from UO SA.
The AR weight uses the armor AR value from your paper doll for each slot equipped. It then goes through this formula:
AR Weight = Displayed AR for heavy armor (any ring, chain or plate) or Displayed AR / 2 for light armor (any leather or studded)
The mana regeneration will be reduced depending on each part of equipment being worn. The rest of this article is mostly from stratics meditation guide
Passive meditation[edit | edit source]
The automatic process of gaining back lost mana is called passive meditation. You do not have to do anything to let this happen. The limits of passive meditation are as follows:
The slowest possible passive regeneration speed of 1 mana point regained every 7 seconds applies to characters dressed in full plate armor or characters with 0 intelligence and 0 meditation skill.
The highest possible passive regeneration speed of 1 mana point regained every second applies to characters dressed in cloth (or nothing) with 100 intelligence and 100 meditation skill.
Between those minimum and maximum rates use the formula above to calculate the current mana regeneration rate.
Active meditation[edit | edit source]
Active meditation is a skill that has to be started by clicking on the skill icon in the skill book, or using a custom player made hotkey.
If the skill check passes then a sound effect can be heard and you will start to meditate. The following messages can be given:
- "Your hands must be free to cast spells or meditate". You have something other than a spellbook in your hands.
- "You are at peace". Your mana level is already at its maximum.
- "You cannot focus your concentration". The skill check failed.
- "Regenerative forces cannot penetrate your armor". The skill check passed, but you are wearing too much armor to meditate actively.
- "You enter a meditative trance". The skill check passed and you start to meditate actively.
- "You stop meditating". You performed an action while meditating or you reached full mana. Active meditation stops.
The active mana regeneration rate is double that of the passive regeneration rate, taking into consideration the armor worn, your intelligence and your meditation skill.
The maximum possible regeneration rate is 2 mana points per second.
While meditating you cannot perform any action. If an action is performed then a message "You stop meditating" is given and active meditation stops. Mana regeneration rate then drops back to the passive meditation level.
The failure or success of active meditation is influenced by the type of armor that you wear. To make sure you can use active meditation try to keep the AR of your armor low and use as little metal armor as possible. Wearing any metal armor seems to drastically slow down the regeneration rate, even if you manage to meditate actively. Some examples of outfits that give up to 19 AR and allow you to meditate actively are:
- Magic Ringmail sleeves (AR 3)
- Chainmail leggings (AR 3)
- Chainmail tunic (AR 7)
- Leather tunic, Leather sleeves, Studded leggings, Studded gloves, Sandals, Robe (AR 13)
- Leather tunic, Leather sleeves, Studded leggings, Leather gorget, Sandals, Robe (AR 13)
- Leather tunic, Studded sleeves, Leather leggings, Leather gorget, Studded gloves, Sandals, Robe (AR 14)
- Plate legs, Bone arms, Bone gloves (AR 15)
- Plate legs, Plate gloves, Plate gorget (AR15)
- Plate legs, Plate arms, Plate gloves (AR15)
- Magic Leather tunic, Leather gloves, Ringmail leggings (AR 17)
- Chain coif, Leather sleeves, Leather tunic, Leather gloves, Studded Leggings (AR 17)
- Magic Leather leggings, Magic Leather gloves (AR 19)
Some examples of outfits that have a low AR but will not allow you to meditate actively are:
- Any outfit with a Studded tunic (because of the metal on the tunic perhaps).
- Chain tunic, Magic ringmail sleeves (AR 10)
- Chain tunic, Chain leggings (AR 10)